“Green Theatre” is an important aspect of Planet Connections.
Each year we educate our artists on how they can “make a difference” by continuing to create great art while reducing their carbon foot print. We are very proud of the strides our artists have made in this area thus far.
We are showing artists everywhere how to “reduce, reuse and recycle” while still creating gorgeous designs, getting fabulous reviews, and packing their houses!
A shot from our 2013 Green Workshop- featuring all of our fantastic speakers! From left to right: Joanne Haas (Associate Director TDF Costume Collections, Kristin Sisly (Manager of Visual Merchandising FilmBiz), Glory Kadigan(Co-Producing Artistic Director, PCTF), Margaret Gillespie (Director of Donations and Logistics FilmBiz), Rebekah Sale (Coordinator BGA), Joanna Bokovitz (Green/Charities Director, PCTF), Antonio Ponton-Nunez (Director of Development MFTA)
Specifically, we at Planet Connections are:
- providing recycling bins on the festivity premises for aluminum, glass, plastic and paper
- using Eco-friendly light bulbs in our festivity lounge, bathrooms and other public areas
- using recycled and recyclable paper products
- cleaning with Eco-friendly products
- using cyberspace communication in lieu of paper as much as possible
- using a “ticket less” box office with reusable tickets which will be collected from audience members as they enter the theatre, for repeated use through out the festivity
- providing two collection bins, one for each theatre, so that audience members can deposit programs after each production for re-use
- hosting a Green Theater Forum to encourage and educate our artists to go “green” within their productions
- providing our artists with access to Materials for the Arts so that they can use recycled materials for their sets, props and costumes
- providing our artists with access to TDF Costume shop so that they can use recycled costumes instead of making new ones
Theater people are some of the most creative, inventive people out there. Together we can educate ourselves and create solutions. We hope our efforts inspire others in the theater community and beyond.